A fireplace can be a cherished component in any single-family rental home in North Hills. However, fireplaces also demonstrate a few unique risks to renters. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), fireplaces are the leading cause of home fires in the U.S., causing nearly 500 deaths and over $1 billion in property damage every year. To delight in your fireplace and stay safe at the same time, it is urgent to observe certain fundamental fireplace safety rules.
The most common reason a fireplace causes a house fire is due to creosote buildup or obstructions in the chimney. Subsequently, wood-burning fires trigger a thick layer of soot and ash, called creosote, on the inside of the chimney walls. If not properly cleaned, this material can ignite, causing significant damage to the property and threatening the safety of everyone in the home. Other conundrums like dead leaves, bird nests, or falling bricks can block the airflow in the chimney and cause sparks to fly out into the room, possibly igniting rugs, nearby décor, or furniture. In the case of gas fireplaces, an obstructed chimney could cause dangerous fumes to vent into the home. Either scenario is seriously treacherous for you and the home’s other residents too.
To avoid these and other problems, there are several important steps that you must follow. First, use only the recommended types of fuel for your fireplace. For wood-burning fireplaces, that is dried and well-seasoned wood free of any chemicals or accelerants. For gas or electric fireplaces, never put anything in the flames. This can result in showers of sparks and hot ash capable of starting the house on fire. Chimney fires can become as hot as 2000°F, hot enough to crack bricks, liquefy metal, and catch your attic, siding, and rooftop on fire. Correct use of your fireplace is one of the best ways to avoid such dangers.
Thereafter, make it a point to supervise the use of your fireplace carefully. For both gas and wood fireplaces, never leave the fireplace lit unsupervised. It is pertinent to have a new fire extinguisher nearby and to make sure that you regularly change the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. If your fireplace has an operating manual, keep it in an accessible location for easy reference. Don’t get too close to the fireplace while it’s on fire and make sure to mind any animals carefully to prevent injuries and mishaps.
To conclude, you must check with your property manager or landlord to see if the fireplace is being regularly inspected and cleaned. An awesome property manager will get a fireplace examined faithfully to establish that it is in good working condition and ventilating correctly. To remain risk-free, it is fundamental to recognize that pilot lights, valves, and sensors are working correctly and that you know how to wield your fireplace correctly. If your landlord gives you materials on fire safety, read through them carefully before attempting to use your fireplace. For tenants, obeying suitable fireplace safety is an imperative segment of keeping you and your properties out of harm’s way.
Sick of performing it yourself? Why not give Real Property Management West San Fernando Valley a call? It doesn’t matter if you own a single rental home or more than a few, our purpose is to protect and maximize your real estate investment. Reinforced by over 30 years of nationwide experience, our group of North Hills property managers is here to help rental home owners maximize rental income while minimizing expenses and inefficiencies. Contact us online or give us a call at 818-727-0100 today.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.