Experienced investors know that a lot can happen to a rental property between tenants. If the only time you walk through your rental is at move-out, you are doing yourself and your investment a disservice. Take it from the property management leader you don’t need to stay in the dark. Periodic property inspections, inside and out, shed light on the situation so you can ensure your property is being well maintained. Here at Real Property Management, we offer routine property care assessments conducted by qualified personnel to all our owners. Here are the five simple steps to a successful inspection:
- PLAN & SCHEDULE quarterly or semi-annual inspections to ensure frequent review.
- COMMUNICATE the inspection schedule at lease-signing and take photos of the property’s condition at move-in so tenants are aware that property condition and lease compliance will be reviewed.
- PROVIDE ADVANCE NOTICE to the tenants prior to an inspection. With sufficient notice, tenants are often happy to have issues proactively addressed.
- ASSESS NEEDED MAINTENANCE of exterior, plumbing, furnace, water heaters, air conditioners, or any other mechanical systems, as well as appliances—taking photos of areas needing attention. Proactively attend to any item needing repair before it becomes more serious or costly.
- ENSURE LEASE COMPLIANCE regarding number of occupants, number and type of pets, smoking, etc. This can be done discreetly and respectfully, with any issues being addressed in writing after the fact.
In the end, tenants are more likely to care for the property when they see you do as well. Regular property inspections are an important part of that process. If you are not conducting regular inspections in compliance with all regulations, it’s time to start protecting yourself—and your tenants. Your Real Property Management team can do all this and more, with condition reports and supporting photos all uploaded to your private online owner portal. Put our experienced team and proven process to work for you. Call Real Property Management West San Fernando Valley at 818.727.0100 today!
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.